What is Sustainability?
Sustainable and Sustainability are terms used to describe many different approaches toward improving our way of life. Sustainability does not have a rigid definition nor should it.
To me, sustainable is a measurement of long term maintenance with zero fluctuation. Through our formulas we aspire to provide you with a baseline of beauty to look and feel your absolute best about the skin you're in and, the ability to maintain that standard over time. We do that by ethically sourcing the best quality all natural and wild crafted ingredients from suppliers that partner with growers that incorporate sustainable practices in the growing and processing of their plant-based materials. These ethical practices help to ensure the quality and efficacy of our products and more importantly, ensure the beauty and bounty of our planet for generations to come. Bernadette King
Here are some views of what Sustainability can encompass…
- Sustainability means reducing our harm on the environment and ultimately reversing the harm we have already caused.
- Sustainability means renewing resources at a rate equal to or greater than the rate at which they are consumed.
- Sustainability means living within the resources of the planet without damaging the environment now or in the future.
- Sustainability means creating an economic system that provides for quality of life while renewing the environment and its resources.
- A sustainable community is one that resembles a living system where all of the resources (human, natural, and economic) are renewed and in balance for perpetuity.
- Sustainability is creating a world where everyone can have fulfilling lives and enjoy a rich level of well-being within the limits of what nature can provide.
- Sustainability means taking the long-term view of how our actions effect future generations and making sure we don't deplete resources or cause pollution at rates faster than the earth is able to renew them.
- Sustainability means living a life of dignity in harmony with nature.
- Some of the many uses of the word sustainable include: Sustainable Business / Sustainable Development / Sustainable Agriculture / Sustainable Living / Sustainable Community.
Yes Coffee for the SKIN--Antioxidant, Anti-Inflammatory, UV Protection...https://ojaisugar.com/blogs/news/why-coffeeMany of us can’t live without that hot cup of Joe to get us going in the morning. Simply waking up to that wonderful aroma is a great way to start the day, but did you know that you can use that coffee to help beautify your skin as well? It’s true – one of your favorite beverages not only boosts your energy level and y...
The first and most important thing you can do “right now” is to drink plenty of water. It’s not only the best for your skin but, also the most cost effective—especially throughout this season, which tends to suck the moisture out of every “living” thing. Think of Fall Leaves on the ground “brittle and cracked”. Dehydration is the main culprit behind dull skin and wrinkles, and it doesn’t just affect dry skin types but oily skin as well. Keep your skin healthy and soft by hydrating your skin from within.
Exercise to sweat increases blood circulation, bringing nourishment to your skin cells and alleviates stress, which will actually improve your overall complexion. Sweating opens your pores and helps rid your body of toxins that cause pimples and breakouts. Exercise regularly and your skin will thank you for it.
During deep sleep, your skin rests and heals. Beauty sleep isn’t a myth - getting enough sleep will help your skin appear more youthful and rejuvenated. Take advantage of the rise in growth hormones in your body, which help repair damaged cells during sleep. Try using a hydrating facial polish before you go to bed at night in order to wake up moisturized and bring out your glow below.
Your skin is always producing new cells, and when the new cells appear, the dead ones stay on the surface, keeping your skin looking dull and dry. Exfoliating once a week will remove skin cell buildup and leave your skin looking brighter and more youthful. It will also give your moisturizers easier access to your pores, allowing them to penetrate your skin more effectively.
Alpha-hydroxy acids--AHA's are naturally occurring acids that are derived from plant sugars. Fruits like lemons, oranges (Citric Acid), maple sugar, and sugar cane (Glycolic Acid) are truly amazing for the skin! Natural glycolic acid for example is highly effective for supporting collagen production; which helps your skin stay strong and wrinkle free. Citric acids on the other hand are wonderful exfoliators and ideal for evening the skin’s pigment and reducing the appearance of age spots and acne.There are six types of AHA's that are naturally derived from three main sources: sugar cane, milk and fruit.
Here are three beauty benefits this sweet stuff has to offer:
Sugar is a natural humectant, meaning it draws moisture from the environment into the skin. So when you apply products with sugar or sugar derivatives, they’ll actually help hydrate your skin and keep moisture within.
AHAs penetrates the skin and breaks down the “glue” that bonds skin cells, encouraging cell turnover and generating fresher, younger-looking skin. Glycolic acid is typically used to treat sun-damaged and aging skin. Because glycolic acid and all AHAs — exfoliate the top layer of skin, it’s important to always follow with a sunscreen if going out during daylight hours to avoid damaging newly tender skin.
Finally, sugar’s small particles make an excellent topical exfoliant, and are used in a number of body scrubs to exfoliate dead skin cells on the surface to reveal glowing, healthy-looking skin underneath. Sugar scrubs also have a few benefits over salt scrubs. For one, small sugar granules are generally gentler than salt, which can cause microscopic tears in the skin; two, because of sugar’s natural humectants properties, these scrubs are more hydrating than salt scrubs, which can strip skin of natural oils.
Many generic body scrubs use synthetic plastic microbeads which cause serious harm to our planet’s water systems. Once they are washed down the drain, these plastic microbeads sink to the bottom of lakes, rivers and oceans and stay there. On the other hand, natural physical exfoliants like sugar - found in our formulas dissolve completely in warm water before even reaching water treatment facilities. At Ojai Sugar® Sustainable Skincare, we use organic raw sugar – another win for the environment!
New formula.May 2016We are very excited to announce that Ojai Sugar’s products are now packaged in recyclable, glass containers. Our decision to switch from plastic to glass packaging was to protect the integrity of our product and to be environmental stewards--recycle, reuse, repurpose. Health safety and sustainability.
Our signature body x foliant is still the same high quality product using only mindfully sourced ingredients that are vegan friendly with zero parabens, sulfates or water. Each blend has been formulated to prevent separation of the oils and sugar which makes for a more even application of the product. Blended with all natural emulsifiers to create a fluffy mixture of pumpkin seed butter, botanical oils, kosher grade--vegetable based glycerin an effective humectant that retains moisture. Your skin will feel hydrated and silky soft. With hand-pored essential oils to stimulate your senses and make your bathroom smell awesome.
Safety. Glass is made from all-natural raw materials. Other packaging materials, such as PVC, can have negative effects on the product ingredients affecting our health and the environment. Our chemical-free glass containers preserve the products’ longevity and maintain the vibrancy and integrity of the therapeutic-grade essential oils.
Sustainability. Glass is a 100% recyclable mono-material that can be recycled continuously without losing its purity or quality.
Exfoliation / Why and How
Exfoliation for most people is a new term and definitely not part of their regular skincare routine. I get asked frequently why it’s important. The older you get the more important this will become. Our body exfoliates naturally--shedding dead skin like a snake, but over time this process slows down with age. That is why topical creams and lotions don't seem to absorb as well when we get older. Whether its summertime or the middle of winter, exfoliating from head to toe will get you glowing.
Ojai Sugar® All Natural exfoliation for body and face will help you look and feel great in your own skin. Recommended once a week at a minimum or as needed to address dry, itchy skin.
- Exfoliation removes dead skin cells and yucky stuff from the surface which promotes new—fresh skin cell growth.
- It also improves circulation, which also creates a balance in the body’s production of its own natural oils.
- Will thoroughly cleanse, moisturize and refresh deeper than regular soaps and body washes. No need for lotion afterwards.
- It will minimize pores and eliminate red bumps from shaving. Pay attention—this is for men as well when shaving their faces or perhaps their heads. Our Forest Musk blend is a favorite with many men because it also acts as a “one of a kind” aftershave scent—very earthy, very sensuous. I love it when my husband uses it.
- Experience the aromatherapy in your bathroom from our unique scents. We use plant-based essential oils with therapeutic properties that truly reflect the beauty and diversity of Ojai and Central California.
- After using the product on your legs and rinsing off, you can shave without having to add another product e.g. shaving cream because your skin will be fully moisturized.
- Ojai Sugar products will not disturb the skin’s natural pH balance.
What you DON’T need, is a dry body brush, loofah, or bath sponge. The sugar is the vehicle that will scrub away all the dead skin cells and gunk on the skin’s surface allowing it to absorb all the awesome moisturizing oils.
How to Use
- Step into the shower and get you skin slightly wet. For a more aggressive exfoliation you can apply to dry skin.
- Treat the body scrub as lotion and apply small amounts to areas of the body that are dry and itchy.
- Remember - do not get water in your jar as water dissolves sugar making sugar soup.
- A little goes a long way. Use your scoop or hand to apply. Start with a small amount.
- Rub in a circular motion starting at you’re your lower extremities e.g. feet and hands; working your way up your body towards the heart which will help stimulate the lymphatic system and promote good circulation.
- Rub the product until the sugar dissolves and all you feel are the oils. You can leave it on your skin as long as you like. Rinse off before leaving the shower.
- For the face, we recommend Petals Facial Polish. It’s a much finer grain of sugar for the delicate skin on our face and hands. Do you ever wonder why men don’t tend to show their age in their faces like us women? This is more noticeable in ages 40 and up. Well, one of the reasons is they shave! Yes, shaving is another form of exfoliation. Women don’t need to shave but, why not get the benefits. Petals will exfoliate the dead skin yet, it does so much more with the pure essential rose oil; think of a rose petal—soft and supple full of moisture. And the hyaluronic acid will plump and retain the moisture.