As I walked through the streets of downtown Ojai on the last evening of the year and decade--I gave pause to this spectacular sunset and all that has transpired personally and professionally.
Trials, tribulations and triumphs brought us to this special place for which we are grateful. This last year pushed us forward as a small town boutique beauty brand with opportunities to grow and transpire.
As we look back, we can appreciate the time it took to perfect our handcrafted lotion formula--yes we learned to mix oil and water using all plant based ingredients along with skin loving niacinamide: Vitamin B3. And we took all the hydrating goodness from the Honey Bee, bee propolis, raw honey and royal jelly to craft our multi-tasking cleanser and masque: The Royal Treatment.
Why do we do what we do? It's simple, we expect and want products that serve our skin's health and beauty using only all natural ingredients and this includes therapeutic grade essential oils for our custom scents. And we know you do too. We serve you and strive to deliver a product that you can trust that will make you look and feel confident about the skin you're in. Simple.
We thank you for being a part of our journey and hope to hear more from you in the New Year at the local Ojai Farmers Market, on the trails, on the streets or online, let us know what you think that is how we grow. THANK YOU.
Did you know that stress actually draws the energy out of your body? Stress can make you extremely tired and prone to negative thinking especially when dealing with high-stress situations. Stress also causes numerous medical conditions like hypertension, heart disease, and even cancer. Stress can cause forgetfulness, negativism, and self-criticism. Self-care is more important now than ever before.
Incorporating self-care into your daily routine; an act of care and kindness for oneself will help you not only with your mental and emotional health but also with your physical health. We can’t do good if we don’t feel good! The act of caring for yourself isn’t just eating when you are hungry, although that is important! It's going further and listening to what your body needs. Is the face you see in the mirror speaking to you? Does it lack the hydration and glow that makes you feel and look good about the skin you're in? Take 20 minutes for some self care. Try our Royal Treatment Facial Masque and pick up that book you have been wanting to read forever! Feeling run down and your skin needs a pick-me-up? Draw yourself a hot bath with the essence of one of our body xfoliants and let the aromatherapy stimulate your senses and bring you to a place of relaxation.
Here is the thing, the practice of self-care is just that. Practice. You have to work every day to make sure that you are taking care of your body, your mind, and your SOUL! You may eat right and exercise daily but that still isn’t enough anymore. Incorporate self-care into your skincare routine, into your life routine.
Here are some tips you can try as part of your self-care routine that goes beyond diet and exercise. .
- Listen to what your body and skin are telling you. If you have dry skin, do something about it! If your skin is too oily, that's telling you something too! Listen and look. Treat yourself well!
- Girls night in – With face masks, candles and a bottle of wine. Take time to wind down with your friends and you will be hitting a lot of those self-care needs!
- Do something YOU enjoy every single day. Life is meant to be lived happily. If you aren’t doing at least one thing that you love every single day, then what is the point? Whether it's hiking, knitting, meditating, painting, stretching, gardening, reading, drawing, singing, anything that makes you happy, set aside 15 minutes a day doing what you enjoy!
- Relax – This is so important. Whether it's with a nice bubble bath, a cup of herbal tea with a book you've been wanting to read. MAKE TIME FOR THIS! It is so important that you relax. Step away. Go outside and let the sun or the cool air envelop your body. Breathe deeply. It's a good day to be alive!
- Go to bed a few minutes early and take a moment to give your body some attention; massage our Lavender Lotion on your feet, legs, arms and shoulders to help ease your thoughts and ready you for a restful night's sleep.
- Checkout Ojai Sugar's line of body xfoliants. They will help you care for your skin and body in more ways than one. With just ONE product you can improve circulation, reduce cellulite, shed dead layers of skin and more!
What is Sustainability?
Sustainable and Sustainability are terms used to describe many different approaches toward improving our way of life. Sustainability does not have a rigid definition nor should it.
To me, sustainable is a measurement of long term maintenance with zero fluctuation. Through our formulas we aspire to provide you with a baseline of beauty to look and feel your absolute best about the skin you're in and, the ability to maintain that standard over time. We do that by ethically sourcing the best quality all natural and wild crafted ingredients from suppliers that partner with growers that incorporate sustainable practices in the growing and processing of their plant-based materials. These ethical practices help to ensure the quality and efficacy of our products and more importantly, ensure the beauty and bounty of our planet for generations to come. Bernadette King
Here are some views of what Sustainability can encompass…
- Sustainability means reducing our harm on the environment and ultimately reversing the harm we have already caused.
- Sustainability means renewing resources at a rate equal to or greater than the rate at which they are consumed.
- Sustainability means living within the resources of the planet without damaging the environment now or in the future.
- Sustainability means creating an economic system that provides for quality of life while renewing the environment and its resources.
- A sustainable community is one that resembles a living system where all of the resources (human, natural, and economic) are renewed and in balance for perpetuity.
- Sustainability is creating a world where everyone can have fulfilling lives and enjoy a rich level of well-being within the limits of what nature can provide.
- Sustainability means taking the long-term view of how our actions effect future generations and making sure we don't deplete resources or cause pollution at rates faster than the earth is able to renew them.
- Sustainability means living a life of dignity in harmony with nature.
- Some of the many uses of the word sustainable include: Sustainable Business / Sustainable Development / Sustainable Agriculture / Sustainable Living / Sustainable Community.
Yes Coffee for the SKIN--Antioxidant, Anti-Inflammatory, UV Protection...https://ojaisugar.com/blogs/news/why-coffeeMany of us can’t live without that hot cup of Joe to get us going in the morning. Simply waking up to that wonderful aroma is a great way to start the day, but did you know that you can use that coffee to help beautify your skin as well? It’s true – one of your favorite beverages not only boosts your energy level and y...
The first and most important thing you can do “right now” is to drink plenty of water. It’s not only the best for your skin but, also the most cost effective—especially throughout this season, which tends to suck the moisture out of every “living” thing. Think of Fall Leaves on the ground “brittle and cracked”. Dehydration is the main culprit behind dull skin and wrinkles, and it doesn’t just affect dry skin types but oily skin as well. Keep your skin healthy and soft by hydrating your skin from within.
Exercise to sweat increases blood circulation, bringing nourishment to your skin cells and alleviates stress, which will actually improve your overall complexion. Sweating opens your pores and helps rid your body of toxins that cause pimples and breakouts. Exercise regularly and your skin will thank you for it.
During deep sleep, your skin rests and heals. Beauty sleep isn’t a myth - getting enough sleep will help your skin appear more youthful and rejuvenated. Take advantage of the rise in growth hormones in your body, which help repair damaged cells during sleep. Try using a hydrating facial polish before you go to bed at night in order to wake up moisturized and bring out your glow below.
Your skin is always producing new cells, and when the new cells appear, the dead ones stay on the surface, keeping your skin looking dull and dry. Exfoliating once a week will remove skin cell buildup and leave your skin looking brighter and more youthful. It will also give your moisturizers easier access to your pores, allowing them to penetrate your skin more effectively.
Alpha-hydroxy acids--AHA's are naturally occurring acids that are derived from plant sugars. Fruits like lemons, oranges (Citric Acid), maple sugar, and sugar cane (Glycolic Acid) are truly amazing for the skin! Natural glycolic acid for example is highly effective for supporting collagen production; which helps your skin stay strong and wrinkle free. Citric acids on the other hand are wonderful exfoliators and ideal for evening the skin’s pigment and reducing the appearance of age spots and acne.There are six types of AHA's that are naturally derived from three main sources: sugar cane, milk and fruit.
Here are three beauty benefits this sweet stuff has to offer:
Sugar is a natural humectant, meaning it draws moisture from the environment into the skin. So when you apply products with sugar or sugar derivatives, they’ll actually help hydrate your skin and keep moisture within.
AHAs penetrates the skin and breaks down the “glue” that bonds skin cells, encouraging cell turnover and generating fresher, younger-looking skin. Glycolic acid is typically used to treat sun-damaged and aging skin. Because glycolic acid and all AHAs — exfoliate the top layer of skin, it’s important to always follow with a sunscreen if going out during daylight hours to avoid damaging newly tender skin.
Finally, sugar’s small particles make an excellent topical exfoliant, and are used in a number of body scrubs to exfoliate dead skin cells on the surface to reveal glowing, healthy-looking skin underneath. Sugar scrubs also have a few benefits over salt scrubs. For one, small sugar granules are generally gentler than salt, which can cause microscopic tears in the skin; two, because of sugar’s natural humectants properties, these scrubs are more hydrating than salt scrubs, which can strip skin of natural oils.
Many generic body scrubs use synthetic plastic microbeads which cause serious harm to our planet’s water systems. Once they are washed down the drain, these plastic microbeads sink to the bottom of lakes, rivers and oceans and stay there. On the other hand, natural physical exfoliants like sugar - found in our formulas dissolve completely in warm water before even reaching water treatment facilities. At Ojai Sugar® Sustainable Skincare, we use organic raw sugar – another win for the environment!