Did you know that stress actually draws the energy out of your body? That is why you are so tired and prone to negative thinking when you deal with high-stress situations. Stress also causes numerous medical conditions like hypertension, heart disease, and even cancer. Stress can cause forgetfulness, negativism, and self-criticism. Self-care is more important now than ever before.
Incorporating self-care into your routine every single day will help you not only with your mental and emotional health but also with your physical health. We can’t be good if we don’t feel good! The act of caring for yourself isn’t just eating when you are hungry, although that is important! It's going further and listening to what your body needs. Is your face dry? Try Ojai’s Petals Facial Oil while reading a book you have been wanting to read for the last year. Do you feel run down and think your skin needs a pick-me-up? Draw yourself a hot bath with a nice bath bomb and hang out with a glass of wine for even 20 minutes. Many see a difference right away but those that stress more than others will think that it is just putting them more behind on their work.
Here is the thing, the practice of self-care is just that. Practice. You have to work every day to make sure that you are taking care of your body, your mind, and your SOUL! You may eat right and exercise daily but that still isn’t enough anymore. Incorporate self-care into your skincare routine, into your life routine.
Here are some ways that you can work on self-care that doesn’t involve the typical “eating healthy” and “exercising daily”.
- Listen to what your body and skin are telling you. If you have dry skin, do something about it! If your skin is too oily, that's telling you something too! Listen and watch what it is doing. Treat it well!
- Girls night in – With face masks, candles and a bottle of wine. Take time to wind down with your friends and you will be hitting a lot of those self-care needs!
- Do something YOU enjoy every single day. Life is meant to be lived happily. If you aren’t doing at least one thing that you love every single day, then what is the point? Whether it's painting, gardening, reading, drawing, singing, anything that makes you happy, make a point of spending even 30 minutes a day on it!
- Relax – This is so important. Whether it's with a nice bubble bath or a glass of wine on the couch watching your favorite show, MAKE TIME FOR THIS! It is so important that you relax every single day. Laying in bed before you go to sleep is not relaxing. That doesn’t count!
- Check out Ojai Sugar's line of body scrubs. They will help you care for your skin and body in more ways than one with just ONE product! Improve circulation, reduce cellulite, shed dead layers of skin and more!
What is Sustainability?
Sustainable and Sustainability are terms used to describe many different approaches toward improving our way of life. Sustainability does not have a rigid definition nor should it.
To me, sustainable is a measurement of long term maintenance with zero fluctuation. Through our formulas we aspire to provide you with a baseline of beauty to look and feel your absolute best about the skin you're in and, the ability to maintain that standard over time. We do that by ethically sourcing the best quality all natural and wild crafted ingredients from suppliers that partner with growers that incorporate sustainable practices in the growing and processing of their plant-based materials. These ethical practices help to ensure the quality and efficacy of our products and more importantly, ensure the beauty and bounty of our planet for generations to come. Bernadette King
Here are some views of what Sustainability can encompass…
- Sustainability means reducing our harm on the environment and ultimately reversing the harm we have already caused.
- Sustainability means renewing resources at a rate equal to or greater than the rate at which they are consumed.
- Sustainability means living within the resources of the planet without damaging the environment now or in the future.
- Sustainability means creating an economic system that provides for quality of life while renewing the environment and its resources.
- A sustainable community is one that resembles a living system where all of the resources (human, natural, and economic) are renewed and in balance for perpetuity.
- Sustainability is creating a world where everyone can have fulfilling lives and enjoy a rich level of well-being within the limits of what nature can provide.
- Sustainability means taking the long-term view of how our actions effect future generations and making sure we don't deplete resources or cause pollution at rates faster than the earth is able to renew them.
- Sustainability means living a life of dignity in harmony with nature.
- Some of the many uses of the word sustainable include: Sustainable Business / Sustainable Development / Sustainable Agriculture / Sustainable Living / Sustainable Community.
Yes Coffee for the SKIN--Antioxidant, Anti-Inflammatory, UV Protection...https://ojaisugar.com/blogs/news/why-coffeeMany of us can’t live without that hot cup of Joe to get us going in the morning. Simply waking up to that wonderful aroma is a great way to start the day, but did you know that you can use that coffee to help beautify your skin as well? It’s true – one of your favorite beverages not only boosts your energy level and y...
The first and most important thing you can do “right now” is to drink plenty of water. It’s not only the best for your skin but, also the most cost effective—especially throughout this season, which tends to suck the moisture out of every “living” thing. Think of Fall Leaves on the ground “brittle and cracked”. Dehydration is the main culprit behind dull skin and wrinkles, and it doesn’t just affect dry skin types but oily skin as well. Keep your skin healthy and soft by hydrating your skin from within.
Exercise to sweat increases blood circulation, bringing nourishment to your skin cells and alleviates stress, which will actually improve your overall complexion. Sweating opens your pores and helps rid your body of toxins that cause pimples and breakouts. Exercise regularly and your skin will thank you for it.
During deep sleep, your skin rests and heals. Beauty sleep isn’t a myth - getting enough sleep will help your skin appear more youthful and rejuvenated. Take advantage of the rise in growth hormones in your body, which help repair damaged cells during sleep. Try using a hydrating facial polish before you go to bed at night in order to wake up moisturized and bring out your glow below.
Your skin is always producing new cells, and when the new cells appear, the dead ones stay on the surface, keeping your skin looking dull and dry. Exfoliating once a week will remove skin cell buildup and leave your skin looking brighter and more youthful. It will also give your moisturizers easier access to your pores, allowing them to penetrate your skin more effectively.
Alpha-hydroxy acids--AHA's are naturally occurring acids that are derived from plant sugars. Fruits like lemons, oranges (Citric Acid), maple sugar, and sugar cane (Glycolic Acid) are truly amazing for the skin! Natural glycolic acid for example is highly effective for supporting collagen production; which helps your skin stay strong and wrinkle free. Citric acids on the other hand are wonderful exfoliators and ideal for evening the skin’s pigment and reducing the appearance of age spots and acne.There are six types of AHA's that are naturally derived from three main sources: sugar cane, milk and fruit.
Here are three beauty benefits this sweet stuff has to offer:
Sugar is a natural humectant, meaning it draws moisture from the environment into the skin. So when you apply products with sugar or sugar derivatives, they’ll actually help hydrate your skin and keep moisture within.
AHAs penetrates the skin and breaks down the “glue” that bonds skin cells, encouraging cell turnover and generating fresher, younger-looking skin. Glycolic acid is typically used to treat sun-damaged and aging skin. Because glycolic acid and all AHAs — exfoliate the top layer of skin, it’s important to always follow with a sunscreen if going out during daylight hours to avoid damaging newly tender skin.
Finally, sugar’s small particles make an excellent topical exfoliant, and are used in a number of body scrubs to exfoliate dead skin cells on the surface to reveal glowing, healthy-looking skin underneath. Sugar scrubs also have a few benefits over salt scrubs. For one, small sugar granules are generally gentler than salt, which can cause microscopic tears in the skin; two, because of sugar’s natural humectants properties, these scrubs are more hydrating than salt scrubs, which can strip skin of natural oils.
Many generic body scrubs use synthetic plastic microbeads which cause serious harm to our planet’s water systems. Once they are washed down the drain, these plastic microbeads sink to the bottom of lakes, rivers and oceans and stay there. On the other hand, natural physical exfoliants like sugar - found in our formulas dissolve completely in warm water before even reaching water treatment facilities. At Ojai Sugar® Sustainable Skincare, we use organic raw sugar – another win for the environment!
New formula.May 2016We are very excited to announce that Ojai Sugar’s products are now packaged in recyclable, glass containers. Our decision to switch from plastic to glass packaging was to protect the integrity of our product and to be environmental stewards--recycle, reuse, repurpose. Health safety and sustainability.
Our signature body x foliant is still the same high quality product using only mindfully sourced ingredients that are vegan friendly with zero parabens, sulfates or water. Each blend has been formulated to prevent separation of the oils and sugar which makes for a more even application of the product. Blended with all natural emulsifiers to create a fluffy mixture of pumpkin seed butter, botanical oils, kosher grade--vegetable based glycerin an effective humectant that retains moisture. Your skin will feel hydrated and silky soft. With hand-pored essential oils to stimulate your senses and make your bathroom smell awesome.
Safety. Glass is made from all-natural raw materials. Other packaging materials, such as PVC, can have negative effects on the product ingredients affecting our health and the environment. Our chemical-free glass containers preserve the products’ longevity and maintain the vibrancy and integrity of the therapeutic-grade essential oils.
Sustainability. Glass is a 100% recyclable mono-material that can be recycled continuously without losing its purity or quality.